Monday, July 28, 2014

First Safari!


I was fortunate enough to be able to take my first safari while here in Uganda to Queen Elizabeth National Park, located in the southwest corner of the country, near the border with the DRC.  Home to four of the Big Five (lions, leopards, elephants, rhinoceroses, and buffalo), QENP was a great experience, and we were fortunate enough to see lions, elephants, hippos, and buffalo, along with plenty of Ugandan Kob, tons of birdlife, chimpanzees, and baboons.

       
Despite singing the Buffalo Bills fight song, the water buffalo remain unimpressed.



























Waking up before sunrise, we piled into an old safari van, popped the roof, and hit the road looking for wildlife. Although I never had really considered going on a safari before, the first time we saw a herd of elephants line up to drink from the Kazinga Channel, I couldn't help but feel awed by the majesty of these animals. I was able to take a boat ride along the channel, which allowed for some great vantage points to see tons of wildlife take advantage of the cooling lake from the hot Ugandan sun.


We also got to see some coffee growing in action, and I met some local children who not only showed me when coffee is ready to be picked, but also loved to have their photos taken. No matter where in the world they are, it seems that all children love to have their pictures taken and then see them - as someone who hates having their picture taken, I was more than happy to oblige them!

Paul (in the striped shirt) showing off a ripe coffee bean.

 Overall, it was a wonderful trip, and I feel so lucky that I was able to take my first safari this summer - it certainly made some great memories and even better photos!
Straight out of the Lion King!

Until next time!

Amey

No comments:

Post a Comment